Mandatory Safe Environment Training for all Adult (Age 18+) Volunteers, Parish Council members, CCD Teachers, Choir and Altar servers.
The Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People passed by USCCB requires all Catholic Dioceses in US to establish a “Safe Environment” training program.
In response, the St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Diocese of Chicago has established a Safe Environment Program through VIRTUS, for all parishes to train teachers and volunteers. We are conducting a session this Saturday, April 16, from 3.00 PM to 5.30 PM at our parish hall, inviting everyone volunteering in church related activities. If you have already attended this training, you do not need to attend this, but a copy of the certificate need to be kept in the church records.
For those attending, please ensure you do the following:
1. Mark your calendar for April 16, Saturday, 3.00 PM – 5.30 PM to attend the VIRTUS training at our parish hall (St.Thomas Syro-Malabar Church, Southfield).
2. Register online for the class. The steps to register are below.
1. Go to https://www.virtusonline.org/
2. On the left pane, click “First Time Registrant”.
3. Select “Begin the registration process.”
4. In the drop-down next page, select “St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Chicago (Diocese)” as your diocese. Note: Please do not select Chicago Archdiocese.
5. Create a user-name/password.
6. Enter your Name, Address, and other details in the next form.
7. For Southfield members, select “Southfield, MI” as the primary location. For Berkley-Knanaya members, select “Berkley, MI” as your location.
8. Enter details as applicable in the next four pages. After that, you will be asked to download and read the “Code of Conduct” document. After you have downloaded and read the contents, click the button “I have downloaded and read the Code of Conduct and agree to its requirements”.
9. For the next question, “Have you already attended a VIRTUS Protecting God’s Children Session”, you will be selecting “NO”.
10. In the next page, look for “Southfield, MI” and select the training which is planned for April 16, at 3:00 PM.
11. Logon with your account and ensure your training is visible.
And please do plan to attend this training class.